This healthy Mediterranean stir fry is full of flavour as well as colour. What a great way to add in a load of extra veggies at dinnertime!
The origins of the stir fry may lie in China, but this is a brilliant dish for anyone following (or looking to incorporate) the Mediterranean diet. It’s packed with vegetables, and cooks them quickly to make sure they stay rich in nutrients and flavour. You can add to or take away the vegetables used to suit your tastes. Mediterranean classics, such as peppers, courgettes and tomatoes all work a treat.
Chicken provides the protein in this recipe. However, should you wish to make a veggie option, you could swap this out for tofu or a meat substitute and still keep all the flavour.
The marinated olives give an extra level of flavour dimension, bringing garlic and thyme aromas as well as sharp sea salt notes. The olives also add a deliciously different texture to get mouths watering. Again, you could switch the olives to suit your taste buds.
As well as the incredible flavour, one of the greatest things about this dish is just how quick and easy it is to make. (And you’re not left with loads of washing up either!) So it’s perfect as a midweek evening meal or after a busy day. Serve it in a classic style with rice, or try it with a Mediterranean style flatbread if you fancy something different. You could even enjoy it on its own as a quick and tasty lunch.
- ½ x 120g pouch of Fragata marinated stoneless olives with garlic and thyme
- ½ x 120g pouch of Fragata marinated stoneless olives with sea salt
- 450g boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
- 200g trimmed broccoli florets, halved and blanched
- 1 medium red pepper, cut into small pieces
- 1 medium yellow pepper, cut into small pieces
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp chicken or vegetable stock (replaceable with water)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put the soy sauce, chicken stock and honey into a small bowl, mix well and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan, add the blanched broccoli and stir fry on a high heat for a couple of minutes.
- Add the peppers and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often until just softened. Season with salt and pepper to taste, transfer to a plate and set aside. Wipe the pan with a piece of kitchen paper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the pan, add the garlic (crushed or chopped) then the diced chicken. Stir fry until cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking put the cornstarch in a small bowl with the water and mix well.
- Once the chicken is cooked add the vegetables, the soy sauce mixture and the cornstarch to the pan. Cook on high heat for 2 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Finally, add your Fragata olives and sprinkle with the sliced spring onion. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve.
Recipe by My Foodie Days