Give your festive party table a Mediterranean (olive & cheese) Twist!
- 70g pecorino, grated
- 140g gruyere, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 sheets (640g) ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 pouch Fragata Marinated Pitted Black Olives With Sea Salt
- 1 tin Fragata Olives filled with Garlic
- Optional: dried herbs, black pepper, sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180 C fan and line a couple of baking sheets with baking parchment.
- Start by cutting your olives into halves or quarters. Next, roll out the
puff pastry on baking parchment. Brush the top of the pastry with
egg until fully covered. Sprinkle both types of cheese over the
pastry, then sprinkle both types of olives on top of the cheese.
- Take the other sheet of pastry and roll it out before brushing with
egg as well. Place this sheet of pastry on top of the olives, egg side
down (the egg will help the pastry stick to the olives and cheese).
Gently press the pastry down so everything sticks and gently crimp
the edges of the two sheets of pastry to seal them.
- Cut the pastry in half lengthways then cut into strips around 1 inch
thick. Take each end of one of the strips and twist into a spiral
before placing on the baking sheet. Repeat until all straws have
been twisted. Brush the twists with the remaining egg wash. If you
want to, sprinkle each twist with dried herbs, black pepper or
sesame seeds before baking for 15 minutes until golden. These are
best served warm and fresh from the oven!